HG Wells Fiction Short Story Competition is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. This Privacy Statement explains what personal information we collect from you and why, how we handle and protect personal information, and how to exercise your privacy rights and choices.
The type of personal information we collect:
We automatically collect certain information when you visit, use, or navigate this website. This information does not reveal your specific identity (like your name or contact information) but may include device and usage information, such as your IP address, browser and device characteristics, operating system, language preferences referring URLs, device name, country, location, information about how and when you use this website and other technical information.
This information is primarily needed to maintain the security and operation of this website and for our internal analytics and reporting purposes. Like many websites, we also collect information through cookies and similar technologies.
We collect your data from the information you provide us with when you enter this competition to notify you of being short-listed and to dispatch any prize won.
- Age category
- Email address
- Phone number
- Address and Postcode
- Your entry
- Payment details (these are processed by sub-processors)
We keep your information for the duration of the online competition and for up to one year thereafter.
We retain prize winner data, including where permission has been granted the right to publish the names of winners.
We do not store credit and debit card details or even process them on our systems: they are passed to our payment processor for the purposes of processing the payment.
We retain permissioned marketing contact information, including name, email address and date / time of consent in Mailchimp until any such contacts opt out of receiving further contacts. We will keep that consent under review and refresh it where necessary.
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the lawful bases we rely on for processing this information are:
(a) Your consent. You can remove your consent at any time. You can do this by contacting us.
(b) We have a contractual obligation.
(c) We have a legal obligation.
(d) We have a vital interest.
(e) We need it to perform a public task.
(f) We have a legitimate interest.
You have the following rights with respect to your personal data:
- You have the right to know why your personal data is needed, what will happen to it, and how long it will be retained for.
- Right of access: You have the right to access your personal data that is known to us.
- Right to rectification: you have the right to supplement, correct, have deleted or blocked your personal data whenever you wish.
- If you give us your consent to process your data, you have the right to revoke that consent and to have your personal data deleted.
- Right to transfer your data: you have the right to request all your personal data from the controller and transfer it in its entirety to another controller.
- Right to object: you may object to the processing of your data. We comply with this unless there are justified grounds for processing.
HG Wells Fiction Short Story Competition
98 Sandgate High St,
How to complain:
If you have a complaint about how we handle your data, we would like to hear from you, but you also have the right to submit a complaint to the supervisory authority. The Information Commissioner’s Office.(ICO)
The ICO’s address:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113
ICO website: https://www.ico.org.uk